Saturday, August 16, 2014

Howdy, Y'all!

Howdy, y’all. I’m an easy quilter. I’m not going for any Guinness World Records or first prizes in the International Quilt Festival. What I am is easy-going and appreciative of the folks who take time to make something special. And by special, I don’t mean perfect or even well-liked by everybody. It’s okay to please some people some of the time. It’s okay to just please yourself and make something that you like and make it as well as you think it should be made.

So, if the seams don’t all match, if you’ve got a loose thread or a too-big stitch in the quilting, if your binding is a little crooked, or even if you’ve got that one “Amish” block multiplying to two or three… The point is that you took the time to try and create something handmade.  

I’m not meaning to downplay all of the beautiful and technically awe-inspiring quilts that you see in magazines, on folk’s blogs, and at Festival. I’m just saying that this page is all about quilting from the heart – because it means something to work with your hands, use your head, and satisfy your soul. The outcome is just the icing on the cake. And if it turns out good, meaning you’re pleasing quite a few folks most of the time, then that’s the cherry on top of it all.

So let's finish this first post with pics of my first ever quilt!
Non-Twinkling Stars

This was from a Fons and Porter book that I've passed onto a quilting friend.  The stars originally "twinkled" - meaning that the half-square triangles (HSTs) pictured here were made up of HSTs - but as a first quilt, that was way too complicated for me, so I ditched the "twinkles."  I also started this with templates.  And scissors instead of a rotary cutter and mat.  And I had no concept of grain.  Or quarter-inch seams.  Or the blocks finishing all the same size.  

Thank goodness for quilt guilds and bees!  I joined both and found folks with tips and most importantly patience!  

Per my easy-going manner, I dealt with all the not-the-same-size-blocks by messing around with the sashing quite a lot to fit them into a grid.  The GREAT thing is that after quilting and washing, the blocks and the sashing look pretty square.  So, you CAN muddle through and still have a good outcome.  I wouldn't recommend anyone to start the way I did or even attempt it, but I have now proved that it's possible!


Close-up of block


Back of quilt with leftover blocks (one is Amish!)


Other side of top hanging on the clothes line.

Thanks to my bee, it didn't take me long to get better (and smarter!), and about 7 years later, I am deep in stash, UFOs, and quilting retreats.  

To close out my first blog post, I want to dedicate it to my late grandmother (the quilting one), who I  nicknamed Grandma Pink Lady when I was little.  (She was a candy-striper at the local hospital.)  I'll mention Grandma Pink throughout my blogs, because she was my inspiration for starting this quilting journey and will continue to inspire me to quilt, learn, and love the outdoors.  

Until next time, take it easy.

2 comments:

Shelley @ Cora's Quilts said...

Love the cheeky name of your quilt and your easy-going approach towards quilting! One of my quilting friends always says, "If you won't be able to see it from the back of a galloping horse, move on!" :)

Can't wait to see where your quilting adventures lead you next!

Anonymous said...

This is a great quilt and it is your first one. Wow! Love the dedication to your Grandma Pink. That is so sweet.