I just made a couple of blocks with flippy corners and ended up with a bunch of HSTs:
Pretty HSTs
Here's how I did it:
When I sewed the diagonal on the square, I also sewed a half-inch over, parallel to the first line of stitches. When you cut down the middle of the stitch lines, the flippy corner has a quarter-inch seam allowance and so does your new HST!
Bonus Tip!
I re-use my Best Press spray bottle by buying a refill. And I re-purposed an old hair product bottle to also hold Best Press. It produces a fine mist, and you can control the placement better with the small bottle, so it's perfect for opening seams! I use the larger bottle for ironing yardage. Also, the smaller bottle is very portable for trips to bee or retreat!
Giveaway!!!
I went to put away my new HSTs in a plastic bag, and I found a bag of these HSTs:
There are probably about 40 or so...I didn't count so don't hold me to it, but it's a bunch!
I pressed one so you could see the size, 3.5" square:
It is the flippy corner from this project:
This one was quilted by my long-arm quilter bee friend, Lillie, but I haven't gotten the binding on it yet! (Of course.)
I have used a few of the HSTs to start making this pillow cover:
You could use the HSTs to make your own pillow cover or add in some solid white or gray (or blue?) to make a baby quilt. Or make a patchwork purse - the possibilities don't stop there!
This fabric is from Valori Well's Wrenly line and the blue swirls are a Kate Spain fabric.
So, are you interested? Yes? Good!
I will ship internationally if you like. It'll be my first international giveaway!
(If you're in someplace cold, or even chilly, may I send myself? Just kidding. Well sorta. Gosh, it's hot here in H-town!)
To be eligible for the giveaway you must:
1. Not be a no-reply blogger (if you are, you must leave your e-mail in your comment to be eligible)
2. Tell me what you do in your sewing that is sustainable, i.e., earth friendly - what do you reuse, reduce, recycle, refuse, rethink?
Let's leave this open for a week, so please comment by August 11, 5pm Central Daylight Time.
Linking up to:
Tips & Tutorials Tuesdays at Late Night Quilter
Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday
and
Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday
(Button links on the right side of my blog!)








9 comments:
I thrift old clothes. I've made quilts with them and also new clothes out of old clothes for my daughter. I use pieces of fabric that is to small for anything else as stuffing. I love fabric and I don't like wasting any of it. I like making hexies too. They use up lots of small pieces,and they are so cute. Thank you for sharing!
I make lots of quilts and I save and use the leftover bits. In addition to making scrap quilts, I also use many scraps to make pot holders that I give to anyone who wants them -- friends, family, people in my fitness class, girls who work at my dentist's office, etc. I have also made several zip pouches from old clothes -- jeans or men's Dockers make nice sturdy pouches. And recently I made a quilted tote bag from a college t-shirt. That shirt was new since the bag was a gift, but it got me thinking that it would be a fun way to recycle shirts that no longer fit or get worn. There is a big box of Hard Rock Cafe shirts in my attic that would make some interesting bags.
I was going to say I don't do anything sustainable other than using scraps...but then I remembered that I often use organic fabrics and I share specialty rulers with my friends.
I ,too, make those extra HSTs! I buy most of my clothes at thrift stores, recycle as much as Ican!!
Carol S.
sandyzoo45@comcast.net
I made a bag/purse with handles for my iPad, using giveaway decorator fabric samples. They are sturdy, lovely florals. I used six sample pieces for front, back, linings for both, an interior pocket for phone, keys, etc, and one for the handles. Each piece is different but blends with the others in the same line of reds. There is even a leopard hiding in the pocket to guard my keys.
What a fun giveaway! Thank you! I think I would use them in the backing to a quilt I'm currently working on, separating 2 larger pieces of material...would be a great way to use them! Lynne in MN. lmhoov68@gmail.com
I use and reuse all my smallest scraps. And reuse worn out clothes. :)
craftyccain@gmail.com
Wonderful giveaway. I just got some bags of scraps at a garage sale last weekend. Love using other quilters scraps. I use up most all of the fabric nothing goes to waste. I even put the thread clippings out for the birds to use making nests in the spring. My husband has made 4 quilts out of the old denim jeans that I just couldn't throw away.
browne426@hotmail.com
Super giveaway idea! I reuse old linens that I buy at thrift stores and flea markets. Love using old hankies!
Post a Comment