Thursday, March 3, 2016

Spring Already

Redbud tree in Katy Dog Park

Spring is here in Houston!  After a few days of winter weather here and there, it seems that the weather is going to stay nice for a while.  Seems like that ol' groundhog was right after all!


It is called "Indian Territory".  I had to sketch this one out in Paint and then fill in colors to see where I wanted to place the lights and darks.  I really wanted to emphasize the light triangles shown and surround the rest with saturated color.  I'm tying into the first block (shown here) with the blue and yellow.  Can I wait until the March block comes out on the last Thursday of the month?  Nope, but I'll have to!


This is a block from the Scraps, Inc., Vol. 1 book.  The pattern is "Delightful" by Camille Roskelley.
This is the block I've asked my Yayas bee to make for me for our Birthday Block exchange this year.  It's SO scrap friendly!  All of my pieces were scraps!  Love, love, love digging into those scrap bins and finding pieces I can USE!


This is Karen's Bonnie Blue table topper using Mary Englebreit fabric.  This is one of Paula Barnes of Red Crinoline Quilts' newest patterns.  Karen took a class with our guild to learn from Paula all her tips and techniques for making this block!  It soon turned into 5 blocks, and now Karen is ready to get it quilted and give it to one of her sisters.

Here is the completed top that you may have seen before as a flimsy.  This was a bow-tie block exchange using modern fabric and orchestrated by Fun with Barb.  It's finished now, and I have the pictures to prove it!

The back is a fun print by Laura Gunn.

I FMQ'ed daisy chains diagonally across the top.


Scrappy binding from my string scraps?  Oh, yes!

Fun blanket stitch with variegated rainbow thread? Of course!

This was a flimsy before, too, but now it's finished!
This is the Juggle pattern by Thimble Blossoms.  It allows you to piece your hexies together by machine.  NO hand piecing - yay!
The fabric is Kate Spain's Sunnyside line.  It is so cute!

The pattern calls for some of the hexies to be pieced from strings.  The Moda Honeycomb precuts come with a template, so you can easily cut your hexie out!


The back is extra Sunnyside fabric.  I love this line, and have decided that I love Kate Spain's fabric lines, full stop!

Close up on the quilting - just straight line to form a diamond pattern.

That's TWO finishes!  Don't worry, I have many, many, many more to go!

Have you had any finishes lately?

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle & Thread Thursday.
http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-party-is-on.html

2 comments:

Alison V. said...

I love both of your finishes! That daisy chain quilting is very cute and I might have to borrow that idea soon. :)

Bluebell Ridge Handworks said...

I love how you used the blanket stitch on the quilt binding! Brilliant :o) I've not seen anyone do that before.